Monday, July 9, 2012

The BIG 3-0!!

Holy Moley, I am THIRTY!  Yowza... that's a lot of birthday candles! :)  I was fortunate to be able to have an AMAZING birthday.  Here's the recap....

The Tuesday before my birthday my mom came into town to watch Beckett while we went to the Arboretum/Chihuly Night.  The next morning I dragged her to my mom's group meet up at the fountains.


It was SO stinkin' HOT.  I was dripping sweat from chasing Beckett around.  He did like the fountains, but thought it was more fun to run off laughing and have me chase him.


The next night we celebrated my birthday by all going to sushi for dinner.  It was super yummy.  My mom isn't a sushi fan, but she ordered these really delicious coconut shrimp and vegetable roll appetizers that were perfect.  Thanks, Mom, for the birthday dinner!



Friday night Emily came to pick me up.   Of course, I had to get a couple of pictures :).




I had ZERO idea what we were doing - I figured that the two of us would go out to eat and consume a few glasses of wine.  I was partially right - we went to a new restaurant in Parker's Square called Decanter.  AND the best part was that a lot of my 3rd grade work buddies were there too!  I hardly ever get to see them anymore, so it was a special treat that they came to celebrate with us!  

And Emily got the most delicious cake in the entire world.  It was chocolate coconut cream - about as fantastic as it gets.  I'm still thinking about that cake!


But the fun was just beginning!  The day before Guy had told me that I needed to mentally prepare myself for my first night away from Beckett.  Since I breastfed for a full year I really hadn't had an opportunity for a getaway, but now that he is weaned it was definitely time.

Guy refused to give me any details.  He did tell me that my sweet little sister was driving all the way from Norman to watch Beckett for us.  She is the best!!

And to pack a fancy dress, casual clothes, and "outdoorsy" clothes.  That had me perplexed.

So Saturday afternoon we were off!  After stopping off at Fuzzy Tacos for lunch we drove North for about an hour.  I nearly made Guy turn around when I realized I had completely forgotten my camera :(.  What did we do before cameras on our phones???  Anyhow, we finally reached our destination... Elm Creek Manor Spa Resort!!  Honestly I couldn't have been more surprised.  Guy is romantic in his own way, but I never thought he would go to such lengths to plan a surprise getaway for us.  

Check out our itinerary!  Yep, he even booked us a couples massage!  Heaven.


The resort was amazing.  Every detail was carefully thought out.  We were really spoiled.



As soon as we unpacked we took a walk around the grounds.  We had a lot of fun with checkers and boccie ball.  (I definitely kicked booty at checkers.)
We quickly learned that we weren't just at a bed and breakfast or spa resort - it was actually much more than that.  The owners had 800 acres that had been in the family since before the Civil War.  First and foremost, the property was a working true organic farm.  Cows, chickens, rabbits, goats, vegetables, herbs, fruit trees - all helped produce all of the meals at the resort.  Everything was fresh and homemade - even the cheese!


After our walk we got back to the room to get ready for our massage.  I could seriously get a massage every single day and be very, very happy.  


Afterwards we got dressed for dinner and headed downstairs for "social hour" in the library.  We met the other resort guests and got to know the owners.  


When everyone else headed for the dining room for dinner, we got to stay put in the library.  Guy had made special plans for us to have our dinner privately.  Isn't this library so cool?  I can imagine how neat it would be to have the fire going during winter.


Now,  I have been with Guy for 10 1/2 years so I am no stranger to fine dining.  There is nothing more that Guy loves than a fancy dinner!  But this had to have been the absolute BEST meal I have ever consumed in my life.  You can taste such a difference when you are eating fresh, farm raised food.  Plus, the owner is a gourmet chef that has trained all over the world so I guess that helps too.  Ha!

We were so stuffed but later that night Guy had arranged for us to have a campfire, s'mores, and Bailey's hot chocolate.  I could barely finish my s'more, but I rallied.  I'm not one to shy away from a dessert!

The next morning was my actual birthday.  Hello, thirty!  We woke up bright and early - we had important business waiting for us!  


Yep, we milked goats.  Actually, to be precise, Guy milked goats - I was only able to get three measly drops.  Guy seemed to have a hidden talent for milking.  Hmmmm.....


Afterwards we were treated to another fantastic meal.  It was cool enough to eat outside, which always makes me a happy girl.  


It was the best getaway - relaxing, fun, and unique.  I am so appreciative of Guy and Stephanie for setting this up!  I did think about Beckett, but I wasn't going crazy missing him.  It was actually really nice to just be a wife for a bit.

Unfortunately the drive home was NOT so relaxing and fun.  All of a sudden I was hit with the worst stomach bug EVER.  Guy had to pull over so that I could get sick on the side of the highway.  :(  And it only got worse.   I ended up spending my entire birthday in bed (or in the bathroom).  I don't think I have ever been so nauseous in my life!  For two days I hardly left the bedroom.  It was really sad because I couldn't be around Beckett at all.  He was so excited to see me and kept wanting me to hold him and I just had to stay away.  It about broke my heart every time because he just sobbed.  This was NOT the way I planned to spend my 30th birthday!

But I was cheered up when Charlsi surprised me with some birthday decorating!  Isn't that fun? 




I have the best friends - they are so sweet.  Oh, and I didn't even mention that Cori had sent me a summer essentials birthday package.  A cute sundress, hat, sunglasses, and good book.  They will all come in handy when we set off for our birthday cruise in August!

Cheers to turning thirty - a whole new decade of love, family, friendship, and good times!



1 comment:

  1. happy belated birthday! what an awesome husband to plan all of this for you and for you to get some r&r with him!

    ReplyDelete