Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Midweek Randoms

And here we go for this week's randoms....

* This is my 101st post!  Wow!  That's a lot of writing :).

* We officially have a crawler in the house.  For weeks now he has been doing a few rocks, scoots, and crawls but now he is on the move.  He doesn't venture far, but he can definitely get where he wants to.  Gone are the days when I can sit him down and just snap, snap, snap pictures of him.  Here's what I got today:

* And in reference to the above, I have been working on baby proofing the house - mainly working on the lower cabinets and clearing out all of the cleaning supplies and other unsafe items.  It will never be completely baby proofed.  I am keeping plenty of things around that aren't harmful, but I don't want him to play with.  Gotta start setting boundaries at some point, right?

* I need to figure out how to set "boundaries."  How do you "discipline" an 8 month old?  He knows words like momma, dadda, mum-mum, all done, loud, uh oh, etc.  He seems to ignore the word no though.



* I wrote our last health insurance check this month.  I shall not miss that enormous bill!

* For some accountability, I thought I would record my best run for the week.  Here it is:

Ran with Beckett 3.00 miles, 11:41 avg. min/mi

I'm not claiming to be fast, but I am happy to have done 3 miles with the jogging stroller.  Plus, I can't go too much faster because the sidewalks all have bumps that are too jiggly for B.  Also, here are 3 of my favorite running motivators..... 1.)Runkeeper app for the iPhone: You select the type of workout (running, walking, etc.), choose your iPod playlist, and it will record your distance and pace using gps.  Very cool! And it's free :).  2.) Rockmyrun.com: This is also free (and legal).  You can download different play lists of mixed songs.  It's nice to have some variety 3.) Old Navy Workout shirts: In the stores they are on sale for $10 right now and are a good length and fit.  



* I made Martha Stewart's Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes for the Super Bowl and they were very tasty.  I love anything broiled.  Yumm-o.  I only used 3 potatoes and just guessed on the other measurements, but here's the recipe.  It's super easy and good.

Ingredients

  • 8 medium sweet potatoes (5 pounds)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Coarse salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup pecan pieces
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel potatoes and halve lengthwise; slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick. On a baking sheet, toss potatoes with olive oil; season with coarse salt.
  2. Transfer half the potatoes to a second baking sheet; cook both sheets until potatoes are tender, tossing occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle with butter, brown sugar, pecan pieces, and cayenne pepper, dividing evenly. Bake until sugar is caramelized and hard, about 10 minutes. Gently toss; serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment