Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A bit late, but... 20 weeks!

Today is a snow day, so I thought I would post an update on Beckett. 


Two weeks ago we had the 20 week appointment.  During the sonogram, they discovered that our little guy has a Single Umbilical Artery (SUA or Two Vessel Cord).  Instead of having one vein and two arteries, there is just one artery.  This happens in less than 1% of pregnancies, and there is no reason why it happens.  SUA is an indicator for chromosomal abnormalities and also a concern for growth in the later stages of pregnancy.  The GREAT news is that he looked perfectly HEALTHY!  Janet, the sonographer, scanned every inch of him and found nothing to be concerned about.  In addition, we were so thankful that at a previous appointment we had done some optional blood work testing to indicate for chromosomal abnormalities (down syndrome, trisomy 18, etc).  The blood work showed a 1 in 10,000 chance for any chromosomal concern. 

We will have a lot more ultrasounds (more pics!) in our future.  They will continue to look at his major organs and growth rate.  At the last appointment he measured three days ahead - another little thing that reassures us that our little guy will be healthy.  My doctor also seemed very positive and not overly concerned.  She did tell us that I will probably deliver by the 38th week.



We were so in shock and stunned at the appointment that I didn't ask my doctor many of the questions that I have now.  I decided to wait until my next appointment (February 14th).  There is nothing that either Guy or I can do except to be positive and focus on all of the joy and happiness we have right now.  And, we have a lot of that!  75% of SUA babies are born perfectly healthy, so we just know that Beckett will be in that percentile.

Here's my VERY favorite picture.... can't wait to kiss those little toes!


Pregnancy Highlights:
 
How Far Along: 20 Weeks
Size of Baby: Beckett is the length of a banana
Total Weight Gain: Gained 11 pounds
Maternity Clothes: I pretty much wear maternity clothes, mostly for comfort reasons.  My shirts and pants (with a rubber band or bella band) still all fit.
Movement: He kicks or punches (I can't tell which yet) ALL THE TIME! He really gets going around 7:00-8:00 at night and while I am going to bed.
Sleep: I am sleeping MUCH better in the second trimester, although after my 20 week appointment I haven't been sleeping too well.
What I miss: A big fat glass of wine and sleeping on my stomach (I still do this, but I have to have my arm underneath me).
Cravings: Nothing really - I just enjoy what I always have a whole lot more (salads, Braums cookies and cream ice cream, mexican food, baked potatoes, and pasta).
Best Moment this week: The day after our appointment Guy picked me up for lunch (which rarely happens with his work schedule) and surprised me with flowers and a delicious cupcake.  He also made a bunch of plans for later in the week, so that I would be busy and have fun things to look forward to.  I am truly the luckiest wife!



1 comment: